- The Vegetarian Society:
- is a popular non-profit to promoteVegetarian living. Lunch time only canteen providing inexpensive organic food. 42 Mahidol Rd. (Located between the Moat corner and Airport Plaza) 053 271 262, open: Monday to Friday, 6am to 2pm.
- Aum Vegetarian:
- All hippy veggie place, with very relaxed ambience, eat on the floor, Near Chiang Mai gate. 65 Moon Muang Rd., (inside old city by Tapae Gate) 053 278 315, open: 10am to 8pm.
- Whole Earth Restaurant:
- Indian food with wide veggie selection, located in classic Thai house and lovely garden. 88 Sri Doncai Rd., 053 282 463, open: daily 11am to 10pm. $$
Kwang Ming Vegetarian at Ratchadamnoen Road (close to Wat Phra Singh) ca. 5 min after the 7/11 on the same side. A small restaurant that serves every day hot noodle soup, Khao Soi, ready cooked dishes to choose from as well as soy protein, spring rolls and mushroom skewers. Very delicious food, clean restaurant, very friendly stuff and really cheap prices.
Tieng Sieng Vegetarian on Phrapokklao Road, close to Chiang Mai Gate and coming from there 2 min after the Gate on the right side. The offer ranges from hot noodle soup, Khao Soi, precooked meal to absolutely gorgeous tofu and soy sausages (not to miss!). The soy protein is to recommend either like the mushroom balls and skewers. The location is very clean, spacious and the stuff friendly. They open every day very early at 5 or 5:30 and many monks from the nearby temples can be seen.
Free Bird Café at Moon Muang Road Soi 7 (Website, Google Maps, ) is a charity café and a not-for-profit, community language and arts learning center to assist families and individuals who are Indigenous peoples of Thailand and refugees from Burma. The nestled in a cute wooden house and there is not much space for customers. Upstairs you have to sit (comfortable) on the floor in a lovely full stuffed room between with book shelves. Downstairs you have a few possibilities to sit and dining. They provide a real charming atmosphere, an interestingly mix between Western, Thai and Burmese food. Absolutely to recommend!
Blue Diamond:Health food with fresh bakes and health herbs, popular brunch place. Tricky to find. 35/1 Moonmuang, soi 9 (near Sriphum Moat corner) 053 217120, open: 7am to 9pm.
Some meters further from Blue Diamond the friendly stuff at Grace Guesthouse (Google Maps) prepare delightful meals to more than just reasonable prices! The portions are huge and worth their money! They have an interesting menu offering Indian, Western and Thai Food. Breakfast with homemade bread is also available. The highlight however is that Vegans can get fresh house made soy joghurt as well as ice cream and vegan pastry! Definitely an insider tip for Vegans!
Taste Of Heaven: is an air-conditioned restaurant at 237-239 Thapae Road. The prices are high and the portions are smaller than known from local vegetarian places. They also offer vegan pastry and coffee reveal some recipes in their cooking courses (Website).
- Khun Churn: serves a vegetarian buffet lunch, 60 baht, Popular with Thai and ex-pats alike in the Nimminhemin area. 4 Nimanhemin Rd., Soi 17, Chiang Mai, Tel: 053 224124, open: 8am to 10pm.
- Pun Pun Restaurant
- is located inside Wat Suan Dok temple (on Suthep Road between the Suan Dok Gate on the moat and the Chiang Mai University. The restaurant is open everyday (except Wensdays ) 9am – 7pm.