So you have been invited to a Thai wedding!
1) It is not acceptable to wear Black to a wedding, period. So that little go anywhere black dress has finally found a place it is not allowed to go! It is because Black is the traditional colour for funerals. So you will be considered as offensive, to imply this is his or her funeral for marrying your best mate or co-worker.Same men for shirts, suits and slacks.
2) Ladies I know back home the reverend may not mind the low cut tops in the congregation below him, however in the temple it is just considered classless. So guys if you wish to have any chance of tenure, be sure you or your girl dress appropriately at all temple ceremonies.
3) Sorry same but the short skirts! At the temple you will find that you are expected to be on the floor and sorry to say you may not have the finesse to sit on the floor and not have the panties show. Even the girls that have to work in the sex trade understand this and cover up to show due respect when they go to temple.
4) Please remember while on the floor (in Pain for many westerner) please do not point your feet towards the monk or even a Buddha statute.
5) It is not really allowed to stand above the monk while he is seated , even when taking photographs. For the ladies sorry it is a true no no too.
6) Remember it is not rude to place money in an envelope instead of a normal western wedding gift. It is of course your choice. But remember most young Thai couples have real needs that come before a toaster. So kind of think of it as a block party concept and you can ’t go wrong.
If there is a hotel reception expect it to end early by western standards, so don’t be surprised when everybody eats and runs. It is so the couple can …well you know.
So show a few simple culturally sensitive manners, you will have more fun and and be remembered as the polite farang. You will find if you make the effort to fit in and try to act as proper member of the society, that the rewards will be worth it.
If you have any Thai wedding related questions you would like answered, please feel free to ask "Somchit" by emailing us our email address is on the contact page of this site. She is an Award winning wedding planner and can answer your questions.