Sited in mid-town, Wat Phra That Hariphunchai was built during the reign of King Arthitayarat, a descendant of Queen Chamthewi some 800 years ago.
A principal landmark is the 46-metre tall golden Chedi which a relic being that a hair of the Lord Buddha. having nine-tiered umbrella, made of gold weighing approximately 6,498.75 grams, placing on the top.
The base basically square in shape with a side measuring about 20 metters each. It present day appearnce is due to the 1443 ad restoration done by the order of the then King of Chiang Mai.
The temple is a beloved place of worship still this day with it two temple lions guarding the front door to the temple to keep out evil.On the ground is also housed a Khmer-style Buddha statue along with a destictive square-shaped Chedi as seen above.
According to legend, the lord Buddha once visited the town near Lamphun on his alms round. He correctly predicted that a man would in the future build a town on that spot and call it Harinphunchai Nakhon.
On every full moon day of the sixth lunar month, there is a celebration of this Wat Phrathat in term of the annual fair.
Of interest in this temple is a large bronze gong which is claimed to be the biggest of its kind in the world.
It is open at 6 a.m.-6 p.m.
The entrance fee is 20 baht.
Visit www.hariphunchaitemple.org for information in Thai only.