GUIDANCE FOR BRITISH
NATIONALS WISHING TO MARRY IN
(as provided by the Chiang mai consulate on Jan 2002)
(Times updated Dec.9, 2002)
This in formation is provided
for general guidance only and has no legal authority.
1. Make an affirmation of
freedom to marry at the British Embassy
- You should prepare the affirmation yourself in typewritten
from on one page
and bring it to the embassy to sign before a British Consular
official. A sample is attached for
- We render this service on a first come first served basis between
1300 and 1530 hrs Monday to Thursday, excluding public holidays.
Please check in advance as they seem to change times and days
without notice even to their Chiang Mai consulate!
- We charge Bath 1,950 (now 2,100B)
per declaration and we can provide this service to British nationals
- Please bring with you to the Embassy your passport, as proof
of identity, and evidence that any previous marriages have been
terminated (death certificate or divorce certificates) as appropriate).
ORIGINALS ARE REQUIRED; copies will not be accepted
under any circumstances.
2. Have the affirmation translated into Thai Sample
-Once the affirmation has been signed, you will need to have
it translated into Thai. Please note that consular Section does
not undertake the preparation or translation of documents.
3. Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified
- All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British
Consular official's signature and certification of the Thai translation.
This must be obtained from:
The Legalization and Naturalization Division,
Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 11120
Tel. 575 1056-59, 981 7171 (08.30-11.30 and 13.00-15.30)
- The fee is Baht 400 per document, and it takes up to two full
days for the Ministry to process applications.
4. Submit the document to the Registrar
- The affirmation and translation ate then ready for submission
to the registrar, who, if satisfied, will register the marriage
and issue a Thai marriage certificate.
- The British Embassy in Bangkok is not authorised to perform
- Marriage in Thailand should be performed according to Thai
law and any detailed questions on the procedure should be addressed
to the appropriate Thai authorities.
- A religious ceremony on its own is not sufficient.
- The documentation to be produced is at the discretion of each
individual Registrar. Most Registrars will be satisfied with
an affirmation of freedom to marry. If two non-Thai nationals
wish to marry in Thailand, the Registrar may waive the requirement
for an affirmation (Once
it is approved by the ministry)
- The marriage will only be recognised under UK law if it is
valid under Thai law. For it to be valid in Thai law, the marriage
must be registered with the Registrar at an Amphur Office
(District Office). A list of some Amphur offices in Bangkok and
upcountry is attached.
- The Thai marriage will be in Thai only. You may wish to commission
a "sworn translation" of the marriage
certificate from a translation bureau, so that you may use the
document for legal purposes in the U.K.
- Consular Section can arrange for your marriage to be recorded
in the U.K.; please ask us for further details if you wish us
to do so. Thai is not a legal obligation.
- Please note that a foreign national does not automatically
acquire British nationality through marriage to a British national.
- If you are marring a Thai national, he or she will require
a visa to visit or settle in the UK.
Applications for a visa to settle in the United Kingdom should
be submitted at least three months in advance of the proposed
date of travel. Please ask the Visa Section for further information.
NB: THE FEES MAY ALTER WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE
198 Bumrungraj Road
Chiang Mai 50000
131 Wireless Road
+66 (0) 2 305 8333 Main Embassy line
(66) (2) 305 8211 Auto attendant
artwork, text and code appearing on the Thailandweddings.com
website(s) are the exclusive property of Thailandweddings.com
and are protected under Thailand, United States and International