cmpany philosophy
Sample northernth Thailand wedding ceremony
Buddhist wedding ceremony
Christian destination weddings
Chiang Mai wedding venues
Thai Wedding enhancements
Thai wedding attire and Thai style wedding dresses
Past Thai wedding photos
Thai wedding legalities for a legal Thai marriage
Lanna wedding qualifications to be your wedding organiser
Clients statements about thai weddings
contact us






Thai Marriage Registration Requirements

As provide by the Thai Registrar Office


A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.(Your local Embassy will not issue a affidavit if your not of legal age in your country.)

2. Permission from the parents is required for parties under legal age.

3. Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited in Thailand).

4. The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent.

5. Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.

6. A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless she

  • Has given birth to a child. .......or is
  • Remarrying the same person........or is
  • Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage).......or an
  • Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

No service fee is required whatsoever. (But the couple is expected to pay for copies and such costs about 55 Baht)

Required Documents

Thai Nationals

Identification Cards of both parties.

The House Registration Certificates of both parties.


If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.

A copy of their passport.

A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. See here for those wishing to do it all by themselves.
See here for those who wish to have a service help them
(Most consulates require original proof of divorce (not a copy) if you where previously married.)


Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. A service fee of 10 Baht is required. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 400 Baht is required by the ministry. **This is not normally available**


 "All photographs, artwork, text and code appearing on the or
website(s) are the exclusive property of and are protected under Thailand, United States and International Copyright Laws.

"Photographs, artwork, text and code may not be reproduced, copied, stored, or manipulated in any form without the written permission of the respective photographers,artists or web master. This includes use of any image as part of another photographic concept or illustration.or website. No image or any part of this site is within public domain."

Copy righted 1999-2004